Our Family’s debut in Western New York started in 1915 when, grandpa Fioravante Santora and the rest of our family arrived in Buffalo from Naples, Italy. At this time it was not popular to be an immigrant and although grandpa got a job as a laborer, installing street-car tracks, he experienced taunts from fellow coworkers. Following this, grandpa vowed never again to work for another person. He and grandma, Maria, turned to making Italian cookies and candies in their home and sold them to local stores and on the streets. Eventually grandpa’s small family grew to a total of eight sons and three daughters. Grandpa then purchased a larger house was purchased at 259 Seneca St. A small store was then added to the front to sell the Santora family treats.
In addition to these pastries and treats, we also made an Italian food called “pizza.” Although this food had not yet gained wide popularity that it currently enjoys, our Santoras family introduced pizza to Western New York and this would eventually become the lasting trademark of our family. In 1927, Buffalo’s first pizzeria was born, Santora’s Pizzeria Napoliatano, and became an instant success.
Today, Santora’s Pizzeria, has enjoyed over 80 years serving Western New York, quality pizza, wings, subs and pasta.
Adapted from article “Italian Food Legacy Flourishes Here,” by Ray Dearlove